Lunch Box Recipe: Mushroom Rice
posted by Vidhya , January 05, 2016
Back in India, my mom doesn't cook mushrooms at home (Just like garlic). But dad and I usually try mushroom recipes in the restaurant. Mushroom gravy, mushroom dosa etc.
After coming to
Here is the recipe.
- White/Crimini mushrooms - 8oz
- Medium sized onion - 1
- Basmati rice - 1 1/2 cups (Rice of your choice)
- Salt - 2
tsps(adjust as per taste)
- Sambhar powder - 1 tbsp
- Pepper powder - 2 tsp (I don't know what is the relation between mushroom and pepper, but mushroom doesn't taste great without pepper)
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Finely Chopped Cilantro - 2 tbsps
- Water - 3 cups
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Chop mushrooms and onions
- You can either cook the rice first and mix it with the mushroom mixture or cook the rice along with mushrooms.
- Heat the pressure pan/cooker or
kadaiand add oil.
- Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- As they start to splutter, add onions and saute them till they turn translucent.
- Now add mushrooms and turmeric powder. Saute them for
- Add salt, sambhar powder, and pepper powder and mix well. (If you have cooked the rice, saute till all the water get absorbed and mix the rice)
- Add the rice and 3 cups of water. (Check for salt for salt, before closing the cooker)
- If you are using basmati rice, 2 whistles should be good enough or if you are using regular rice leave it for 3 whistles.
Once the pressure is gone, add the chopped cilantro and serve hot with raita.
All image credits: Vidhya