Lunch Box Recipe: Beetroot Rice
posted by Vidhya , January 26, 2016
- 1 medium size beetroot - peel the skin and grate it.
- 1/2 of medium sized onion - finely chopped.
- Red chilies - 2
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Jeera/Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1-inch piece
- Cardamom - 2
- Cloves - 2
- Salt - 1.5 tsps (as required )
- Basmati rice (Preferable) or any rice - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Cilantro - 2 tbsps
As it is a one pot dish, I used the handi type pressure cooker.
- Heat the pressure cooker or pan.
- Add oil and once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- As they start to splutter, add the red chilies. (I prefer red chilies because I will be able to remove it after cooking as I am giving it to the kid. Green chilies are hard to remove)
- Crush the cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon. Add the crushed mixture now. Saute it for a minute.
- Add the chopped onions and cook till its translucent.
- Add the grated beetroot and also salt. Let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the washed rice and 2 cups of water.
- Pressure cook it for two whistles. (Basmati rice cooks faster, so cook according to rice)
- Before serving, garnish it with cilantro.
Serve it with raita. And this is our lunch today.
Earlier crossposted here.
All image credits: Vidhya